Sept. 05–The Weld County Sheriff’s Office and the Weld County Drug Task Force are investigating a hotel fire thought to be ignited by an illegal butane hash oil extraction operation.
Deputies were dispatched about 5 a.m. Tuesday to a report of a structure fire at the First Interstate Inn, located at 3940 Highway 119 off Interstate 25 east of Longmont. Emergency personal arrived on scene and saw smoke coming from one of the rooms.
Two adult males were transported to a nearby hospital and then later air lifted to a hospital in Aurora. The condition of the men went from stable to serious, and they are being treated for serious burns, according to a sheriff’s office news release.
Evidence of a butane hash oil extraction process was noted, and the task force responded to assist the investigation. The task force and sheriff’s office investigators are working together to continue this investigation.
The investigation is ongoing and information is limited. More information will be released as it becomes available, according to the release.
Anyone with information about the crime is asked to call the sheriff’s office at (970) 356-4015 or Northern Colorado Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (8477). Tips can also be submitted through the Crime Stoppers web site at http://www.crimeshurt.com.
— Joe Moylan covers crime and public safety for The Greeley Tribune. Reach him at email@example.com, (970) 392-4467 or on Twitter @JoeMoylan.
(c)2018 the Greeley Tribune (Greeley, Colo.)
Visit the Greeley Tribune (Greeley, Colo.) at www.greeleytribune.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.