NEXUS is a $2.1 billion pipeline backed by
The 36-inch diameter pipeline can carry up to 1.5 billion cubic feet of natural gas a day from the
Thompson said he anticipated filing more lawsuits in the coming weeks, and Tuesday he added Michels to a lawsuit filed against NEXUS in July. The lawsuits have two aims:
“One, to hold (NEXUS and Michels) accountable for specific damages that they’ve caused, and, two, so that in the future, a message is given to them that they can’t just do what they want and trample on the rights of the property owners,” Thompson said.
“NEXUS doesn’t comment on pending lawsuits, but project representatives have been communicating with landowners for four years,” spokesman
“Great effort has been taken to address individual landowner concerns and minimize disruption during the construction process,” Parker wrote.
A message seeking comment was left with Michels.
The lawsuits seek damages in excess of $25,000, as well as attorney fees, from NEXUS and Michels.
The lawsuits allege NEXUS and Michels:
* Pumped thousands of gallons of water and silt onto farms and residential properties without permission from the owners, in one case damaging a pond in
* Destroyed topsoil and crops on farms in
* Failed to repair damaged drain tiles and properly reclaim land.
* Caused farmers to lose crops and prevented some landowners from using their properties.
* Failed to control erosion, in one case leading to a 200-foot-long ditch on a
* Diverted surface water onto properties near the pipeline, including several residences near
“Those people never got a penny out of the pipeline right of way and they’ve had to live with the damage, and the pipeline isn’t even on their property,” Thompson said of his
Restoration on hold
NEXUS was “committed to safe and environmentally responsible practices,” including the use of inspectors, to “protect topsoil and to minimize erosion and sedimentation during and after construction,” Parker wrote.
NEXUS runs 255 miles from
On Twitter: @shooverREP
(c)2018 The Repository, Canton, Ohio
Visit The Repository, Canton, Ohio at www.cantonrep.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.